Sports Medicine Services by Hope Wellness Clinic of Wichita
Sport and exercise medicine is a branch of healthcare that deals with physical fitness and the treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports and exercise. Nike has a motto that if you have a body, you are an athlete. This means that there is a wide range of athletes we treat, from marathon runners to those struggling to get out of bed in the morning. Sports and exercise medicine physicians have extensive education in musculoskeletal medicine. At our clinic, we treat injuries such as muscle, ligament, tendon, and bone problems, as well as chronic illnesses that can affect physical performance, such as asthma, diabetes, and energy pathway dysfunctions. A large part of what we do is focus on prevention of these injuries to keep you on top of your game.
Nutrition and diet is a key part of athletic performance; often there are digestive issues that are affecting performance. These digestive problems lead us into the internal medicine field to find and address these complications to help you exceed your goals. The exciting new field of epigenetics has revealed new understanding into what areas we need to address per the individual’s genetic needs to prevent injury and optimize performance.
The most common sport injuries we treat are:
- Concussions: caused by severe head injury where the brain moves violently within the skull causing inflammation in the brain.
- Ankle sprains: the ligaments that hold the ankle bones in place are overstretched.
- Shin splints: the tissue that attaches the muscles of your lower leg to the shin bone may be pulling away from the bone, or it may be inflamed from overuse.
- Muscle strains: tears in muscle that cause pain and or loss of function.
- Muscle cramps: a sudden tight, intense pain caused by a muscle locked in spasm. This can be due to mineral or electrolyte deficiencies.
- ACL sprains: The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a ligament involved in knee stabilization. An ACL sprain can occur when the foot is planted and the knee twists to change direction. ACL tears are not treated in our clinic, but we work with local surgeons to get athletes the best care and results.
Our clinic is involved in many local teams and sports; we are the official doctors of the men’s and women’s F.C. Wichita premier soccer teams. Our doctors have worked with Dancing with the Stars, professional athletes, world champion martial artist, and many professional bands and singers, keeping these athletes on top of their game.